Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I finished a game.

Well what did I do on the weekend... admittedly not much haha. For the past few weeks I have been chipping away at this game, Eschalon book 1 to be exact. I had picked it up in the Steam midyear sales after I saw Nick fire the game up when he bought it.

I was immediately drawn to it's old school look and feel. I am a sucker for these old grid/turn based RPGs, so if you are a fan of the old Ultima or Might and Magic then you will like this (Although I have never played either of them haha).


That game stared out ridiculously hard as I had a hell of a time trying to kill anything without having to sleep for a few days to recover. This is when saving is your friend. I died and reloaded A LOT in this game.  So much so that I almost gave up on it. However I ended up having a day at home when I didn't really want to do anything, so I sat down and ended up playing pretty much day till night... Needless to say by the end I was pretty tough and end boss didn't really pose as much of a threat (I did still die a couple of times) as the tiny lizards at the beginning of the game haha. According to my steam play time I sunk about 29hours into it, which is a pretty good length for a little indie rpg I thought.

The game had some real annoying features (Oh man did the character walk too slow - I think this is fixed a bit in the next one) it was still rewarding. So I did utilise a bit of a cheat in the game's programming to help me along the way but that's ok because I may have given up on it otherwise. While the story wasn't deep it had enough in it to keep me going. I won't go into much detail about the game as such if you have ever played this type of game you know what to expect.

While games are becoming more flashy and fancy it's nice to know that there are still people out there who appreciate the old :) I am looking forward to picking up book 2 next sale and book 3 once it is finished. In the mean time if you are interested check out Basilisk Games http://basiliskgames.com/ and pick up a demo :)

I am loving the indie game scene at the moment and the creativity of some people is amazing. My next game to finish is Limbo an awesome looking side scrolling platformer, more on that when I'm actually finished.though. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment