Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My love for little games

So I just finished playing Machinarium.



What a wonderfully cute game it was. I had picked it up from the Humble Indy Bundle a few weeks ago and have been chipping away at it every so often. It's a point and click adventure by the guys who brought you samorost 1 and 2. If you want to have a look at samorost 1 it's free to play online here http://amanita-design.net/samorost-1/ 

You play as a little robot called Josef (although I don't ever recall learning his name anywhere in the game, I read that on wiki after). The art for this game is great. I loved looking at each screen and the detail they put into it. Music was minimal (Although I had trouble hearing it most of the time because of my netbook's crappy speaker) which adds to it's metallic atmosphere.


I don't want to give away too much of the story as that's part of the fun with this game. There is no speech in the game at all. You see the characters communicate through thought bubbles generally depicting an image of what they need at the time so you can go and find it. Puzzles range from finding and item and using it properly to some (quite frustrating at times) logic puzzles. Luckily you can't get stuck for too long as there are two versions of hints in the game. One is a basic hint where Josef thinks an image of what you need to achieve. The other you have to earn by completing a mini shooter game which acts as the lock to a book. Once completed the book opens as you get a brief overview of the way the puzzle pans out on that particular screen through numerous drawings. I found myself using this a couple of times only to find I already knew what I needed to do, typical. All the logic puzzles were left up to you to solve though, no cheating on brain power ;)

Anyway I recommend giving this game a go if you like a bit of point and click adventuring. You can play the demo here http://machinarium.net/demo/ 

Happy gaming :)

1 comment:

  1. Samrost is one of my favourite online games - I'll look forward to playing this too :)

    ReplyDelete